WHAT ARE SHOCK ABSORBERS?
The shock absorbers on your Citroën perform some key functions. They’re used to:
• Keep the wheels in contact with the ground regardless of the terrain
• Control the oscillation of the suspension while not obstructing the action of the springs
• Absorb bumps and stabilise each wheel
• Prevent vibrations in the passenger compartment for a more comfortable ride
• Ensure better road handling and braking effectiveness
HOW CAN I TELL IF MY SHOCK ABSORBERS ARE WORN?
• The vehicle tends to swerve unpredictably in bends
• The front of the vehicle dips when braking
• Clanking noises when the car goes over a speed bump
• The steering wheel vibrates while driving
• Oil leaking from shock absorbers
• The tyres have worn down faster than usual or unevenly
THE IMPACT OF WORN SHOCK ABSORBERS
• Road-holding – poor condition shock absorbers could cause loss of grip, a common cause of accidents on the road
• Braking – stopping distances could increase by 35% making it harder to avoid an accident
• Tyres – wear on your tyres could be increased by 25%, reducing your safety and costing you money
• Comfort – you’ll notice a difference in the way your car is performing, especially its ability to handle bumps in the road
During your annual service, we'll always carry out a visual check of your vehicle, including the suspension system.
However, if you think that your shock absorbers are worn and need replacing, it's always best to have them inspected by a trained technician.
Why not book a free Health Check today?