New Citroën Berlingo: The Story Continues With Even More Style, Practicality And Comfort
In 1996, Citroën created the ‘Leisure Activity Vehicle’ segment. Today the marque unveils the third-generation Citroën Berlingo, which continues the story with its original, simple and functional styling. New Citroën Berlingo has been updated in terms of design and comfort, reinforcing the fresh spirit and practicality behind the success of the iconic model, which has sold over 1.7 million units. New Berlingo features all the brand markers of Citroën design with a new body that gives it a robust and cheerful appearance. New Berlingo also sees the introduction of the smooth and efficient EAT8 (8-speed) automatic gearbox. This latest Citroën model will make its world premiere at the Geneva Motor Show next month and will go ‘on sale’ during the second half of 2018.
With the reveal of New Berlingo, the Citroën brand is updating an icon in the ‘Leisure Activity Vehicle’ (LAV) segment, which it created 22 years ago. The new model, which will make its world debut at the Geneva Motor Show in March, offers an optimum combination of design, comfort and ease of use.
NEW GENERATION OF AN AUTOMOTIVE ICON
With three independent rear seats, the Modutop® multi-function roof and an opening rear window built into the tailgate, New Berlingo continues to be a major player in the segment. With the third-generation passenger version of the Berlingo, Citroën is unveiling a major model both for the brand and for its segment. A multi-faceted vehicle, New Citroën Berlingo is a smart buy for families or seniors with active lifestyles who are looking for exceptional space, practicality and simplicity of use. The new leisure activity vehicle is a true and faithful reflection of the brand's new signature, ‘Inspired By You’.
STRONG CHARACTER: BODY STYLING AND STYLISTIC CODES OF THE NEW CITROËN
New Citroën Berlingo is more modern than ever and boasts the robust and forceful attitude of a go-anywhere vehicle, while losing none of its fresh and distinctive personality:
• New body styling with a more forward-set windscreen and a higher and shorter front end, achieved notably through the use of the EMP2 platform
• A front end design that is consistent with the identity of the Citroën brand with the two-tier light signature and front fog lights
• Flowing body styling with Airbump® panels at the bottom of the doors
• An uncluttered, typically Citroën interior, with a light and airy feel, and several interior ambiances
• Personalisation options with an ‘XTR Pack’ and touches of colour
• Two sizes, M and XL, with body lengths of 4.40m and 4.75m, with five and seven seats.
MORE INTELLIGENCE FOR MORE EASE OF USE AND WELL-BEING ON BOARD
New Citroën Berlingo builds on its existing strengths to offer optimum everyday ease of use:
• Outstanding modularity with three individual seats in the rear that can be folded down with a simple movement using the Magic Flat® controls* in the boot. Combined with a folding front passenger seat, this feature provides a perfectly flat floor and a load length of up to 2.70m for the M version and 3.05m for the XL model
• Two wide sliding side doors with electric windows
• Class-leading boot volume, increased by 100-litres to 775-litres for the M version. The boot is easily accessible thanks to the opening rear window in the tailgate and two different height positions for the luggage cover
• 28 large and ingenious storage spaces such as the new-generation Modutop® multi-function roof that also lets more light into the cabin. The ‘Top Box’ glove box is unique to the segment thanks to the ‘Airbag in Roof’ system.
New Citroën Berlingo also gains new features by adopting:
• The EMP2 platform at the front of the vehicle, improving manoeuvrability (electric power steering, turning circle), and providing for the latest driving assistance technologies. The rear part of the platform has been maintained from the previous version for extra load volume and to preserve body width between the wheel arches
• 19 driving assistance technologies, including Colour Head-up Display, Adaptive Cruise Control with Stop function, Electric Parking Brake, Reversing Camera with Top Rear Vision, Grip Control® with Hill Descent Assist and Trailer Stability Control
• Four connectivity technologies including an 8-inch touchscreen with Citroën Connect Nav and Wireless Smartphone Charging
• Suspension settings benefiting from all of Citroën's know-how for peerless comfort
• A broad range of high-performance engines including the new BlueHDi 130 1.5 diesel and PureTech 1.2 petrol powertrains.
* Folding individual seats (row two) from launch. Magic Flat® controls available from spring 2019.
STRONG CHARACTER: BODY STYLING AND STYLISTIC CODES OF THE NEW CITROËN
A LIKEABLE PERSONALITY
In step with Citroën's other recent creations, New Berlingo disrupts in terms of style and brings a breath of fresh air to the segment. Citroën has made in-depth upgrades to its new model, which stands apart through its original body styling as well as its robust, flowing and non-aggressive design.
At the front, New Citroën Berlingo stands out with strong styling features, made possible by the integration of the EMP2 platform and a shorter front overhang. With a higher and shorter bonnet, drivers have a commanding view of the road. A broader and unmistakeably Citroën front end with the brand's inimitable two-tier light signature, and a forward-set windscreen, provides more space and light.
To reinforce its character and underline its modern and dynamic profile, New Citroën Berlingo sports a higher waistline and large windows with distinct contouring. New Berlingo is also equipped with lengthwise roof bars (depending on the version). The styling is enhanced by Airbump® panels on the bottom of the doors, emphasising its robust look and signalling constant body protection.
At the rear, the smooth and vertically orientated lights of New Berlingo frame the tailgate, which is equipped with a dark-tinted opening rear window set above the chevrons. These components boost the stature of New Citroën Berlingo and balance out the design lines of the model, which has a minimum height of 1.81m (without the roof bars).
Like C3, New C3 Aircross Compact SUV and New Citroën C4 Cactus Hatch, New Citroën Berlingo is enhanced by a list of personalisation options, which is core to the brand and favoured by customers. Outside, the new vehicle comes with a range of eight body colours: Soft Sand, Aqua Green, Arctic Steel, Platinum Grey, Onyx Black, Deep Blue, Passion Red and Polar White. The colour signature can be reinforced by touches of colour surrounding the rounded front fog lights and on the Airbump® panels: White Colour Pack (depending on the version) or Orange Colour Pack (linked to the XTR Pack). In pure go-anywhere spirit, the emblematic ‘XTR Pack’ option stands out with the use of the Orange Colour Pack and 17-inch alloy wheels, and a special ‘Wild Green’ interior ambiance.
A DISTINCTIVE INTERIOR
Moving inside, the comprehensively upgraded interior marks a generational leap in terms of finish and quality, to inspire a sense of serenity. New Citroën Berlingo stands apart through its airy cabin and high-set driving position. The meticulously designed dashboard with its horizontal styling has been made even more user-friendly, with direct access to the air-conditioning controls and a number of storage spaces.
The interior is available with new trims and a varied set of colours, corresponding to several interior ambiances:
• The ‘Standard’ ambience with a pure look and touches of Grey and Laurel Green
• The ‘Metropolitan Grey’ ambience with Grey Cloth enhanced by a strip of bold Summertime Green. A turquoise shade harmonises with a China Grey dashboard, providing a sense of well-being and modernity
• The‘Wild Green’ ambience is specific to the XTR Pack. Synonymous with adventure, it features Green Cloth and an Orange strip, contrasting with a Green striped pattern.
TWO BODY STYLES: SIZES M AND XL
For the first time in its history, New Citroën Berlingo is available in two sizes, with balanced proportions and design. The standard M size model keeps its compact shape and agility, measuring 2cm longer than the previous generation at 4.40m, with a 2.78m wheelbase. The lengthened XL version adds an extra 35cm for a total length of 4.75m and a 2.97m wheelbase. More versatile than ever, with the possibility of transporting five or seven passengers, New Citroën Berlingo brings a new response to the needs of families and friends, giving them a choice between spaciousness and boot volume depending on their activities.
Practical inside and out, features include top-class accessibility for passengers thanks to its two wide and highly functional sliding side doors, which are now fitted with electric windows. There is a broad tailgate that opens onto a spacious boot. The load volume is 775-litres for the M model (100-litres more than the current generation five-seater) and 1,050-litres for the XL version with five-seats (where specified).
New Citroën Berlingo offers best-in-class spaciousness and modularity thanks to the following:
- Three same-size individual seats in row two offering remarkable knee room for back-seat passengers (156mm). The seats fold down easily to provide a flat floor thanks to controls for each seat, or a simple movement of the Magic Flat® controls
- Combined with a folding front passenger seat, the row two seats provide a perfectly flat floor and a load length of up to 2.70m for the M version and 3.05m for the XL model, ideal for transporting long objects
- Two removable seats in row three. Non-adjustable lengthwise on M models, the seats are fitted on a rail on XL models, moving through 130mm. This allows motorists to opt for legroom or extra volume for the boot.
BATHED IN LIGHT
New Citroën Berlingo is bathed in light in the cabin, thanks to 6.4m2 of glass. This includes a wide windscreen, side windows and rear quarter-lights. Combined with the Modutop® (depending on the version), the large panoramic sunroof floods the cabin with even more natural light and can be covered with an electric sun blind. For even more well-being and comfort at night, New Citroën Berlingo is also equipped with individual reading lights for the rear seats and now boasts ambient lighting that enhances the translucent part of the storage arch.
UP TO 186-LITRES OF STORAGE SPACE
From the very first design drawings and technical choices, user-friendly storage compartments and useful spaces were central to the thoughts of the designers, the aim being to provide occupants with true freedom of movement and an emphatic sense of well-being. With a total of 28 storage spaces for 186-litres of interior storage space, each cubby and pocket is more capacious and ingenious than the last and all hold immense appeal to customers.
The model is also home to two glove boxes: a lower glove box (with or without a lid, depending on the version) with room for a 0.75-litre bottle. There is also a unique upper glove box known as the ‘Top Box’, made possible by moving the passenger airbag to the ceiling (Airbag in Roof). This compartment is available cooled (depending on the version), contains a USB socket and jack audio socket, and can easily accommodate up to a 15-inch laptop.
Length: 4.40m size M / 4.75m size XL
Height: 1.81m (minimum without roof bars / 1.84m minimum with roof bars - depending on version)
New Berlingo will make its international debut in a few weeks at the Geneva Motor Show, followed by its launch in the second half of 2018. To discover more about New Citroën Berlingo visit the showroom here.