Citroën Launches An Electric Offensive On Its LCV Range
- A trailblazer in Light Commercial Vehicles, Citroën is currently the sixth best-selling brand in Europe with 9.2% market share for the first half of 2019
- To consolidate this success, Citroën has adopted the strategy “Inspiré Par Pro” since 2018, which involves creating tailor-made solutions to meet business customers bespoke needs via an extensive range of products (Berlingo Van, Dispatch, Relay ranges).
- The French marque is preparing to launch a major electrification offensive, aiming to make 100% of its range electric by 2025. This offensive will be an important driver for Citroën’s growth, covering both Light Commercial Vehicles and passenger vehicles.
- The latest announcement as part of that offensive is a 100% electric version of Dispatch to be released in 2020, which will benefit from Groupe PSA’s innovation in terms of electrification. Dispatch will join Relay Electric which is set to launch in early 2020. By 2021 both vans will be joined by a 100% electric version of Berlingo Van, completing the lineup.
01 – AN “INSPIRÉ PAR PRO” RANGE, FOCUSED ON ELECTRIFICATION
Citroën is one of the leading players in the Light Commercial Vehicles market, as is consistently proven by its excellent sales. The brand’s centenary year in 2019 has highlighted the innovative styling that has remained a constant throughout the brand’s history, such as the 2CV van, Type H, C15 or Berlingo.
Citroën is now the sixth best-selling LCV manufacturer in Europe with a market share of 9.2%, following strong performance from the key Citroën LCV models, Berlingo Van, Relay and Dispatch. In the UK, the story has been equally impressive with Citroën enjoying above market growth of 9.8% in the nine months to the end of September 2019, against a UK LCV/HCV market that has grown 4% in the same period.
Powering the energy transition and inspired by a new purpose, the brand is preparing to launch a major electrification offensive across its commercial range. Already present in very targeted markets with Berlingo Electric and the forthcoming launch of Relay Electric (beginning of 2020), the brand plans to extend its electric offering for business customers with a range of 100% electric compact vans by 2021.
This Citroën LCV range will follow the Groupe PSA electrification strategy, whereby all vehicles in its range will feature an electrified derivative in addition to petrol and diesel combustion engines. This strategy has been devised to give consumers the flexibility to choose their desired model and then the powertrain most relevant to them.
Within two years the brand will offer Groupe PSA’s expert knowledge in terms of a 100% electric offering, by providing a 100% electric version of Dispatch (launch in 2020) and a 100% electric version of Berlingo Van (by 2021). These two new models will join the forthcoming Relay Electric due to launch at the beginning of 2020. This electrification will concern not only the light commercial vehicles but also passenger vehicles.
02 – CITROËN DISPATCH: THE COMPACT VAN TO DRIVE THE ELECTRIC OFFENSIVE
DISPATCH: THE REFERENCE IN COMPACT VANS
Loyal to the brand’s signature “Inspiré Par Pro”, Citroën Dispatch, launched in 2016 and with over 135,000 units sold, recently developed its range in order to ensure the needs of business customers are met. Robust and with a large loading capacity, Citroën Dispatch offers a calibrated range, available with four trim levels including two new additions (Worker and Driver) targeting two specific uses: construction sites (with raised suspension, protection plate, increased payload, Grip Control®) and long journeys (with driver assistance systems, dedicated to comfort and safety), respectively. The range makes Citroën Dispatch the essential partner for businesses with a variety of needs.
THE LIGHT COMMERCIAL VEHICLE IN Ë-COMFORT MODE
To provide customers with concrete solutions for mobility in urban environments as well as rural areas, Citroën will add a 100% electric version of its compact van to its range in 2020. Uncompromising in terms of performance, this 100% electric version of Dispatch is designed for customers seeking comfort and peace of mind at the wheel, allowing companies to introduce a revolutionary new way to do business, conveying a positive image while protecting the environment.
Using the Groupe PSA EMP2 multi-energy platform, this electric version of Dispatch will be offered with two battery sizes, offering different levels of range to suit differing customer needs:
- 124 miles on WLTP cycle with a 50kWh battery
- 186 miles on WLTP cycle with a 75kWh battery
Other benefits will include:
- Comfort: refined drive with limited noise or vibration, and perfectly smooth movement
- Driveability in electric mode with torque immediately available and no gear changes
- Peace of mind, with the freedom to drive in ultra-low emission zones, allowing easier access around major cities and the ability to make “last mile” deliveries and keep up with the rise in e-commerce.
- Payload remains similar to Dispatch models powered by a combustion engine
- Reduced whole life costs
Launching in 2020, Dispatch intends to become the new benchmark in compact vans on the electric market.
Laurence Hansen – Citroën Product and Strategy Director commented: “Citroën is a centenarian brand boasting nearly 90 years of expertise in light commercial vehicles. A leader in the energy transition and inspired by the needs of business customers, Citroën today is launching a major product offensive on the electrification of its light commercial vehicle range. The objective is to market an electrified version of each of its vans by 2021, benefitting from Groupe PSA’s finest knowledge and supplementing the efficient internal-combustion-engine range.”