New C5 Aircross SUV Hybrid: Ë-Comfort Class SUV
- Citroën launches its electric offensive with its technological flagship, New C5 Aircross SUV Hybrid, the ë-Comfort class SUV
- Already offering outstanding comfort – through its Advanced Comfort® programme, with Progressive Hydraulic Cushions®, Advanced Comfort seats and 19 driver assistance systems – New C5 Aircross SUV enters yet another new phase in offering outstanding serenity, with the introduction of a plug-in hybrid variant.
- UNCOMPROMISING: driving inspired by customers’ needs, zero CO2 emissions on a daily basis in 100% electric mode, up to (31 mile / 50kmi range) and flexibility for longer trips thanks to the advanced PureTech petrol engine
- SERENITY: a calm and peaceful journey in electric mode at the wheel, in a tranquil atmosphere with minimal noise, bumps or vibrations
- HIGH-END DRIVING EXPERIENCE: electrifying performance thanks to the combination of a PureTech 180hp petrol engine, an 80kW electric motor and an ë-EAT8 automatic gearbox, delivering 225hp of accumulated power and instantly available torque of 320Nm
- INTUITIVE: a complete ecosystem, intuitive and user-friendly, including automatic control of driving modes, easy charging and a dedicated smart services portal
- With its outstanding modularity, New C5 Aircross SUV Hybrid is the most modular model in the plug-in hybrid C-SUV segment: with three individual sliding, folding and reclining rear seats and best-in-class boot volume.
- Offering a range of up to 31 miles / 50kmi in electric mode, CO2 emissions of 39g/kmi and consumption of 166 mpg in WLTP cycle, New C5 Aircross SUV Hybrid represents a new phase in Citroën’s energy transition strategy as it offers a plug-in hybrid engine that combines technology with competitive running costs.
- Manufactured in France at the Rennes – La Janais plant, alongside the ICE (Internal Combustion Engine) powered versions that have already sold over 80,000 units, the first deliveries of New C5 Aircross SUV Hybrid will take place in the middle of 2020.
- UK customers can register an interest in New C5 Aircross SUV Hybrid through Citroën UK’s website now.
“I am very proud to reveal New C5 Aircross SUV Hybrid, which represents the first stage in our electrification strategy. Citroën’s true technological flagship, it offers true versatility of use: electric every day, petrol engine when needed, offering the ultimate comfort for all.” Linda Jackson, CEO of Citroën
INTRODUCTION OF CITROËN’S ELECTRIC OFFENSIVE
New C5 Aircross SUV Hybrid is the first step in Citroën’s electrification offensive. The year 2020 will see Citroën transition to an extended range, which will be enhanced by 100% electric and plug-in hybrid models, in addition to the existing powerful internal combustion engines, a strategy which will be concluded by 2025. Starting with New C5 Aircross SUV Hybrid, all new models launched by the French marque will feature an electrified version, a proof of Citroën’s commitment to a responsible energy transition for the mass market, offering models inspired by customers’ needs tailored to as many people as possible, for each segment and in each market.
THE ULTIMATE COMFORT EXPERIENCE OFFERED TO AS MANY CUSTOMERS AS POSSIBLE
All the appeal of an SUV with a unique personality, modern and hi-tech, New C5 Aircross SUV is entering a new phase in the Citroën Advanced Comfort® programme with this plug-in hybrid version:
- VERSATILITY OF USE
- Embodying the top end of the Citroën range, New C5 Aircross SUV Hybrid offers an extended mobility experience for true versatility of use. The pleasure of driving in electric mode is perfectly suited to everyday trips, all-made stress-free thanks to a range of up to 31 miles / 50kmi range (WLTP cycle), facilitating access to restricted urban areas, combined with the freedom of driving under petrol engine power at any point on longer trips
- TRAVELLING IN Ë-COMFORT CLASS
- New C5 Aircross SUV Hybrid, an SUV able to run without noise or vibrations on daily trips, offers exceptional comfort on-board, strengthening the insulation provided by the acoustic laminated front windows, the suspension with Progressive Hydraulic Cushions® and Advanced Comfort seats, replicating the ‘magic carpet’ effect, typical of core Citroën models
- All the comfort and fluidity of electric driving with instantly available torque of 320Nm coupled with the consistent acceleration associated with the ë-EAT8 electrified automatic gearbox. With a combined power of 225hp (180hp petrol engine, 80kW electric motor), New C5 Aircross SUV Hybrid offers high-flying dynamic performance for enhanced driving pleasure
- In its plug-in hybrid version, New C5 Aircross SUV is still best-in-class in terms of modularity thanks to the clever storage of the battery under the rear seats. Including three individual sliding, folding and reclining same-width rear seats, as well as a boot volume that varies between 460L and 600L, a record size for the plug-in hybrid C-SUV segment.
- Simple and user-friendly, New C5 Aircross SUV Hybrid is a plug-in hybrid designed to facilitate everyday life: simplified and programmable fast charging, intuitive and instructional interior layout, and a dedicated connected services ecosystem for even greater peace of mind
- THE CORE MARKET
New C5 Aircross SUV Hybrid is in line with Citroën’s strategy of proposing models adapted to different uses within the core market
1. NEW C5 AIRCROSS SUV HYBRID, THE BEGINNING OF CITROËN’S ELECTRIC OFFENSIVE
- A CORE MARKET ELECTRIFIED MOBILITY OFFER, INSPIRED BY CUSTOMER NEEDS
As an accessible brand, Citroën’s goal is to provide a dedicated range adapted to the needs of all customers and to be a driver of energy transition by extending the electrified offering either plug-in hybrid electric vehicle (PHEV) or battery electric vehicle (BEV), across each segment and in every market, suitable for as many customers as possible. Citroën already offers an electric range within the LCV market that covers drivers’ needs for most common uses: Berlingo Electric is aimed at users wishing to deliver goods in urban and semi-urban areas. With New C5 Aircross SUV Hybrid, Citroën marks the transition to an extended range, which will soon feature 100% electric or plug-in hybrid offers on all models in addition to efficient and powerful combustion engines and targeted electric versions.
New C5 Aircross SUV Hybrid is Citroën’s first plug-in hybrid model of the Core Model Strategy, which by 2023 will lead to 80% of the range having an electrified version, and 100% by 2025. Beginning with New C5 Aircross SUV, all new models launched by the brand will have an electrified version, further proof of Citroën’s commitment to responsible energy transition.
New C5 Aircross SUV Hybrid symbolises a truly versatile offer, for customers wishing to get the best of both energy types: all the benefits of 100% electric mode in town for everyday driving, and the freedom offered by the PureTech petrol engine, for longer journeys. With this extended electrified mobility offer, Citroën meets the needs of customers seeking smart mobility, in particular during the working week for the school run and commuting, but who still wish to make longer journeys for leisure and getaways. This plug-in hybrid offer targets the needs of private buyers as well as business and fleet customers; customer profiles concerned about energy transition and seeking controlled running costs as well as responsible and powerful engines for practical daily mobility.
2. AN ENERGETIC SUV WITH A UNIQUE PERSONALITY
- SPECIFIC CUSTOMISATION FOR THE HYBRID VERSION
Like the ICE versions, New C5 Aircross SUV Hybrid has a strong and bold personality. Sturdy and protective, it’s a typical SUV, which offers advanced customisation options, with details specially designed to emphasise the hybrid driving mode:
- A dynamic New Colour Pack, Anodised Blue, which symbolises the plug-in hybrid. This new Colour Pack, which is accentuated by coloured inserts in the Airbump® panels on the front doors and in the lower part of the front bumper, lets customers stand out. It joins the existing Colour Packs, Anodised Silver, Anodised White and Deep Anodised Red, available on New C5 Aircross SUV regardless of the engine type.
- A ”ḧybrid” logo placed on the rear tailgate and an “ḧ” on the front wings, in Anodised Blue, indicates that this is the plug-in hybrid version.
- A charging flap on the left body side, symmetrical to the fuel flap located on the right, easily accessible for charging and perfectly in keeping with the exterior styling of the vehicle
The light and spacious passenger compartment of New C5 Aircross SUV Hybrid retains the characteristic comfort, well-being and harmony of the ICE versions, while offering a few specific details.
- The auto dimming rear view mirror is refined and frameless, for a more distinctive look enhancing the technological appearance of the rechargeable hybrid mode. It features a 100% electric driving mode indicator, a blue light switches on under the interior rear view mirror, visible from the outside, so that the vehicle can be identified in traffic as a vehicle driving in 100% electric mode. This special feature would allow drivers of New C5 Aircross SUV Hybrid to have easy access to traffic zones in urban centres, should restrictions come into force in the future.
- The central console features a mode selector to the right of the automatic gearbox, offering the driver the option to choose between several drive modes including both combined and exclusive ICE or electric energy modes. 100% electric for a serene and smooth ride, Hybrid for versatility and efficiency, and Sport for dynamic driving. By default, management between electric and ICE driving is automatic depending on the level of charge of the battery and the driver’s setting
- The 12.3’’ digital dashboard and the 8” touchscreen feature new graphics, enhancing the exclusive appearance of this plug-in hybrid version and highlighting the plug-in hybrid technology combining the best of ICE and electric. These graphics display the vehicle’s driving mode in real time in an intuitive manner.
3. THE ULTIMATE EXPERIENCE OF COMFORT
A. VERSATILITY OF USE: EXTENDED MOBILITY FOR DRIVING WITH COMPLETE PEACE OF MIND, ELECTRIC DAY-TO-DAY, PETROL IF REQUIRED
New C5 Aircross SUV Hybrid provides a model adapted to all uses, for day-to-day driving without restrictions as well as unexpected longer journeys. This hybrid version offers the pleasure of silent start-up and operation, with zero CO2 emissions, the possibility of driving up to 31 miles / 50kmi in 100% electric mode, a range in electric mode that is suited to routine commuter journeys. Therefore, it is possible to drive for a whole week without engaging the petrol engine, making the usual trips and recharging the vehicle as needed; at home, at work or at a public charging point.
Aside from the pleasure of driving in electric mode on a daily basis, without CO2 emissions and with notably low running costs, 100% electric mode allows the driver access to ultra-low emission zones in town centres, where restrictions are being placed on ICE vehicles. Hybrid versions offer extended mobility, from short daily trips in urban areas to long journeys on the road or the motorway.
A specific command feature for the touchscreen, ë-Save, lets the driver plan the journey and plan for an electrical energy reserve (10km, 20km or full battery). This can be used when desired during the journey, particularly when planning to travel through an urban area, whether at the beginning, middle or end of the journey.
The best of both energy types is available to customers. There is the option to drive in all electric mode every day with a range of up to of 31 miles / 50kmi for daily journeys, alongside the option to travel a longer distance without any concerns in terms of charging as the PureTech petrol engine that is both quiet and powerful, can take over.
In addition, for even greater peace of mind, the battery is covered by an 8 year / 100,000 mile warranty to guarantee up to 70% of its charge capacity.
B. Ë-COMFORT CLASS TRAVEL: PUSHING THE CITROËN ADVANCED COMFORT® PROGRAMME FURTHER THAN EVER BEFORE
- TECHNOLOGICAL AND MODERN ELECTRIC MOBILITY
Citroën and comfort is a story that has lasted over 100 years. The Citroën Advanced Comfort® programme has guided the development of New C5 Aircross SUV, allowing adventurous driving in the utmost comfort. New C5 Aircross SUV Hybrid goes even further, offering technological developments to boost comfort and versatility of use in the form of ë-Comfort class mobility. It lets you drive in electric mode on a daily basis, perfectly insulated from the road and the outside world, and in a hushed, cocoon-like setting where all outside stresses are filtered out.
With electric mode, passengers are enveloped in an aura of calm. The serene operation, smoothness and movement of the vehicle, pleasure of driving, gentle suspension, soft Advanced Comfort seats, removal of any vibrations on board, ergonomics and ease of use of the digital controls and dedicated services, all contribute to enhancing comfort on board, for the driver and passenger alike.
Ë-Comfort is the guarantee of being able to drive in electric mode on daily journeys, with the following:
- Zero CO2 emissions, while driving in electric mode, to satisfy customers’ environmental conscience
- Zero noise and zero odour, in the cabin when driving in 100% electric mode, to ensure optimum acoustic and sensory comfort
- Zero vibrations, zero jolts, zero gear changes, for perfectly smooth driving
- Immediately available torque for a stimulating driving sensation
- Remotely programmable services for peace of mind every day
Able to drive in urban areas in 100% electric mode, but still able to make unexpected longer journeys, New C5 Aircross SUV Hybrid is a new invitation to drivers to travel in a completely relaxed and stress-free environment. To indicate electric mode when the car is moving and to accommodate regulations, New C5 Aircross SUV Hybrid is equipped with a specific sound signal below 19mph / 30km/h, indicating 100% electric driving and ensuring that pedestrians can hear the vehicle driving close by, while enhancing its technological and modern appearance. Notably, this sound is inaudible inside the vehicle to preserve acoustic comfort on board.
- MOBILITY THAT ENHANCES ALL THE BENEFITS OF NEW C5 AIRCROSS SUV
New C5 Aircross SUV Hybrid combines ë-Comfort with all the comfort features of ICE versions. In 100% electric mode, acoustic comfort is improved and no vibrations interrupt the tranquillity on board, even in the most stressful urban driving situations. With the acoustic laminated front windows of New C5 Aircross SUV Hybrid, available as standard on all trim levels, the cocoon effect is enhanced, with passengers comfortably seated and sheltered from outside interruptions.
Equipped with the innovative Progressive Hydraulic Cushion® suspension system, New C5 Aircross SUV Hybrid faces down all obstacles, from potholes and ditches to speed bumps and other road unevenness, easily and effortlessly. From Citroën’s experience gained in WRC, the hydraulic cushions provide better shock absorption. Tried and tested in long-distance rallies on the winning ZX from the Paris Dakar in 1994, today they are used on C3 WRC. Using its experience and the expert knowledge of its engineers, Citroën has developed this suspension technology, the aim of which is to improve filtering quality, which is typical of Citroën, and very important to the brand’s customers. 20 patents have been filed as part of the development of the Progressive Hydraulic Cushion® system.
In a feature specific to the hybrid version, New C5 Aircross SUV Hybrid is equipped with a multi-link rear axle, which guarantees efficient and safe operation, and ensures balance and composure regardless of exterior conditions.
The impression of on-board comfort also comes from the seats. Seated comfortably in the Advanced Comfort seats, passengers enjoy exceptional seat comfort, a trademark of a Citroën interior.
- Visual comfort thanks to the padding visible at first glance
- Welcome comfort with 15mm soft foam on contact with the seat
- Dynamic comfort with a structured foam thickened at the surface, combined with a high-density foam in the middle of the seats, for extended softness, maintenance and comfort
- Postural comfort with wide seat cushions and multiple seat adjustment settings
The interior of New C5 Aircross SUV Hybrid offers all the same benefits of spaciousness and modularity as New C5 Aircross SUV ICE versions. The individual sliding, folding and reclining rear seats which remain one of the special features of New C5 Aircross SUV in its segment, are also found in the hybrid version. Its exceptional modularity is preserved, and its boot volume remains class-leading thanks to the clever storage of the high-voltage battery under the rear seats. With boot volume of 460L to 600L depending on the position of the seats, the boot of New C5 Aircross SUV Hybrid is the most spacious in the C-SUV hybrid segment and one of the best in the segment, for all engine types. With an articulated boot floor for easy storage of the vehicle charging equipment, New C5 Aircross SUV Hybrid offers a loading length of 1.90m, identical to that of ICE versions. This clever set-up makes it the most comfortable and modular hybrid SUV in its segment.
Modern and hi-tech, New C5 Aircross SUV Hybrid offers a wide range of 19 driver assistance systems to enhance comfort on board and ensure easier driving, regardless of exterior conditions. Highway Driver Assist in particular, a level-2 autonomous driving system, particularly suited to urban traffic congestion and highway driving, lets the driver benefit from a less stressful driving experience, whilst also being sure to remain focused on the road.
- SMOOTH ELECTRIC DRIVING
New C5 Aircross SUV Hybrid has an economical powertrain, delivering outstanding efficiency with CO2 emissions of 39g/kmi (WLTP cycle). This engine is particularly powerful and dynamic in all circumstances, with the combination of a PureTech 180 petrol engine that meets all the latest Euro 6 emissions control standards, and an 80kW electric motor installed between the petrol engine and the ë-EAT8 electrified automatic gearbox. The 13.2kWh electric motor battery is a high-voltage 200V Lithium-Ion. In Hybrid mode, the petrol engine and electric motor join forces to provide combined power of 225hp to the front wheels, torque of 320Nm available instantaneously, controlled fuel consumption and enhanced driving pleasure. The combustion engine has a starter-alternator to guarantee that the combustion engine restarts instantly and quietly.
The fast and efficient ë-EAT8 electrified automatic gearbox is an upgrade of the EAT8 gearbox with optimised gear changes thanks to the multi-disk wet clutch, enhancing the fluidity and pleasure of driving, with immediately available torque of 320Nm. It has a regenerative brake feature that amplifies deceleration of the vehicle without pressing the brake pedal, to increase range in 100% electric mode. This system allows recovery of the energy available during braking and deceleration phases, unlike ICE versions, thus increasing autonomy in electric mode.
- OPTIMISED CHARGING TIME FOR EASIER CHARGING
Charging time is optimised: using a 7KW wallbox, which customers can install at homes or workplaces, or found publically available, the battery recharges in less than two hours thanks to the standard 7.4KW on board charger. Charging can also be done via a domestic plug socket in 6 hours, if an additional cable is purchased. Charging is easy and can be programmed or deferred, to benefit from more reasonable off-peak electricity prices for example. Customers program the vehicle charge on the vehicle itself or through the e-Remote Control service available in the MyCitroën app. Charging is simple thanks to improved ergonomics of the flap to plug the vehicle in and the charging cable is easily accessed under the articulated boot floor. The charging flap features a colour code to visually track the charging process, which can also be viewed on the MyCitroën app.
- INTUITIVE INTERFACES FOR GREATER PEACE OF MIND
With the launch of the plug-in hybrid engine, Citroën supports the driver by offering clear and intuitive interfaces, easy to read, understand and use. The aim is simple: to strengthen the connection between the driver and the vehicle, to enhance the modernity of the drivetrain, and simplify daily interactions and actions, making New C5 Aircross SUV Hybrid an extension of the home; playful, intuitive and rewarding. The driver has a special dedicated display mode on the 12.3” digital dashboard in order to view the various elements related to hybrid mode: the power metre, the electric and petrol gauges, the range in electric and petrol mode, and energy flow diagrams. When the vehicle is charging, the dashboard displays the remaining charge time needed to achieve a full charge (in hours and minutes), the electric range gained (in miles) and the battery charge level (as %).
In addition, New C5 Aircross SUV Hybrid features specific tabs within the on-board touchscreen for managing hybrid operation settings, accessible via a button under the touch screen. It shows energy flow data illustrating the operating status of the hybrid system, the electric and fuel consumption statistics, and provides access to the ë-Save feature and the battery deferred charging settings.
- DEDICATED SMART SERVICES TO SIMPLIFY DAILY LIFE
The dedicated smart services in the New C5 Aircross SUV Hybrid let you enjoy comfort without limits, helping you to travel calmly without a hitch. It provides true continuity between the customer’s devices and their car. Encompassing the entire electrification ecosystem, these services make using the vehicle simpler and hassle-free:
- Citroën Connect Box: this service offers daily assistance, emergency calling, as well as an e-remote control system for controlling the vehicle remotely, using the My Citroën app (programming charging and pre-heating or pre-cooling to optimise electric range, checking battery capacity and remaining fuel range, mileage and vehicle location).
- Citroën Connect Nav: the Citroën Connect Nav system offers a free 3 year subscription to real-time traffic updates, and is specially enhanced with information connected to the electrification of the vehicle. It includes POI with electric charging points in addition to traditional fuel stations and a graphic showing the available radius according to the battery charge level, in order to better manage the vehicle’s range in all-electric and hybrid mode.
- Mirror Screen®: this feature offers extended connectivity on board, with Apple CarPlay™ and Android Auto, occupants can easily access all applications compatible with the user’s smartphone via the vehicle’s touchscreen.
4. ALL THE COMFORT OF CITROËN’S PLUG-IN HYBRID STARTING AT £35,340
With New C5 Aircross SUV Hybrid, Citroën, an accessible brand delivering vehicles designed for everyone, is inspired by customers’ needs and their expectations in terms of technology, environmental protection and energy transition.
Combining comfort, high-end technology and competitive running costs, New C5 Aircross SUV Hybrid will be available in two versions, Flair and Flair Plus, and customers can register their interest in this exciting vehicle from today. The New C5 Aircross SUV range is available in three engine types: petrol, diesel and plug-in hybrid, according to the customer’s wishes. The plug-in hybrid version is in perfect keeping with the current New C5 Aircross SUV range, offering a wide selection of equipment to individuals as well as business customers.
- Hybrid 225 ë-EAT8
- Petrol engine: PureTech 180 S&S Euro 6 – 180hp (132 kW)
- Electric engine: 110hp (80 kW) installed between the petrol engine and the gearbox
- Combined power: 225hp (165 kW)
- Battery: High Voltage 200V Li-Ion 13.2kWh
- 4X2 front wheel transmission
- Electric engine torque: 320Nm
- ë-EAT8 electrified automatic gearbox
- Range in 100% electric mode: 31 miles / 50 kmi (functional up to 84mph / 135km/h, where permitted) – WLTP cycle
- CO2 emissions : 39g/kmi – WLTP cycle
- Mixed consumption: 166 mpg / (1.7 L/100km)i – WLTP cycle
- Charging time:
i Estimated data, provided for information purposes only and subject to approval (WLTP test cycle). Definitive data will be communicated before end of December 2019.